Friday, May 28, 2021

 CHURCHES


Old churches and church structures have always fascinated me. Their architectural voices speak to me, which leads me to photograph their essence; their presence, more so than just a single building.

Let's start with a good example of essence. The sunlight entering the structure and painting the stone floor added so much to the character of Concepcíon Mission in San Antonio, Texas.




Also in Texas, east of San Antonio, are several old German "Painted Churches." They are extremely colorful and ornate, as this photo depicts. They didn't go easy on the minute details either.




This beautiful eight-story Buddhist stupa in northern Colorado also got my attention, especially all the offerings in this offering plate. There was a candle, an apple, a tennis ball, and what appears to be an inhaler even. I wish I could talk to everybody who placed an offering and ask them what their offering symbolized. 




San Francisco de Así church, Taos New Mexico. It is probably the most photographed structure in Taos, maybe in all of New Mexico. One article I read said it is the most photographed church in the world. Built in 1772, it was photographed by Ansel Adams and painted by Georgia O'Keeffe. This is my rendition, showcasing the adobe construction, rounded edges and corners, and mystery, It's not what we usually think of when we think of a church. A beautiful structure, inside and out. 




This beautiful Catholic church in Eureka Springs, Arkansas has a Hungarian influence.
The grounds, as well as the structure, has a lot to admire and absorb. I had to use a super- wide 10 mm focal length to get the whole thing in.




St. John's Catholic church is in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I did not expect to see a blue ceiling.
They allowed me to go up to the back balcony where the choir is on Sunday mornings. This view from up high brings out the geometric designs on the ceiling. Most photos, including my own, emphasize mostly the walls, stained glass windows and the alter. 




This beauty, also a Catholic church, is commonly referred to as Chapel on The Rock. It attracts folks with mobile phones, tablets, and digital cameras as they travel south of Estes Park, Colorado on the Peak--to-Peak highway. 




I'll leave you with this jaw-dropping piece of architecture--Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, New Mexico. No nails! The precision on this spiraling staircase is a work of perfection and wonder. It was completed in 1878. You can read more about its dimensions and history here




These beauties are everywhere. Every city has old churches that date anywhere between the 1700s and early 1900s--look for them. Most authorities will let you photograph them, especially is you promise to send them the photos you take. If I can, I like to ask permission, just to remain on the ethical side of things. 

So, get your wide angle lens and tripod and have fun. And remember, you can all the depth-of-field you need with 10mm-17mm lenses without shooting at f/16 or higher! I usually use f/8-f/9.5 with my 10 mm lens. 

And don't forget to wet your fingers with holy water before you start shooting. It could bring you luck. 😊






    

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment