Friday, April 24, 2015

SCANNING

The concept of "scanning" is only a small part of one of my three photography models/ paradigms. I spend several pages on the entire model in my new book, RIGHT BRAIN PHOTOGRAPHY (Be an artist first).

Scanning allows me to see the unseen; see what others miss; extract a smaller picture from the big picture. When I scan, I literally scan the entire scene before me, left to right; up and down. By doing so, I can find something that, though not obvious or in-your-face at first, gives me a glimpse of a photo opportunity. I then get closer and explore it further, using my imagination to help me "see" what I can create. This scanning process helps me to see something even before I see it---sounds strange, right? Here are some Before & After images to show you what I mean.


This is a typical scene at our nearby Butterfly Pavilion. As I say in my book, don't see with your eyes; see with your imagination. This is what the eyes see. If we listen to our eyes, as in this example, we are likely to keep walking because we see nothing worthy of a photograph. Do you see anything worthy of a photograph? 


  
Here's where scanning comes in. If I scan, coupled with seeing with my imagination, I see two small portions of this mundane scene worthy of consideration. Do you see those small tiny flowers on the lower left? They are light white/pinkish colored. Do you see the lady bug decorations on the upper right? I don't see lady bug decorations--I see a nice red back- ground for those light white/pinkish flowers. I then change positions, move over closer to those little flowers, lower myself to where I can only see the red part of the lady bug in the background, get my composition, determine my f/stop for the effects I want, and voila!! This is right brain photography; seeing like an artist.


If I had not scanned, I would have gone home without this image. Why? Because I was looking (with my eyes) for the obvious--for something to hit me between the eyes. Sometimes it's not what the eyes see, but what they don't see that holds those hidden photo treasures; those hidden gems.  

Next time you're out shooting, don't look for the obvious--that's too easy. Scan. Scan. Scan. You will surprise yourself when your right brain shakes hands with your left brain and says, "Wait. I see something!" Have fun scanning.

No comments:

Post a Comment