Sunday, July 14, 2013

WHY ACCEPT WHAT THE CAMERA GIVES YOU?

Why buy an expensive camera, then use it like a point & shoot? Don't listen to the salesperson who says, "All you have to do is shoot; the camera does the rest." If you believe that, ask yourself how many bad photos you came back with during your last vacation. The camera takes pictures; we create images.

A lot of photo enthusiasts come to me for 1-on-1 in-the field lessons. Many of them want to get better before their next vacation or out of town trip. Whether they're leaving for a trip, or just want to improve their photos, I help them raise the bar for themselves. 

Such was the case when I recently met one of my students at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Among the different tips I shared with her, one of them was how to go from "taking pictures" to creating images. I taught her how to make one key in-camera adjustment to enhance her photographs. She was so excited when, after a couple of hours of connecting the dots, she could see the difference in her camera monitor.

I was so proud of her achievements that day. See for yourself. 

We came across this nice scene at the Gardens. She "took" a picture based on what her nice DSLR camera thought she needed for a "correct" exposure. This is what she got.


I then showed her how to make an adjustment to her camera to get the "desired" exposure. 
I was teaching her how to create an image, rather than just taking a picture. The result was dramatic. This is what she created!

Big, big difference, right?

The "before" photograph is a good example of what I believe is the #1 killer when all we do is "take pictures." This happens so often during our vacations, day trips, family outings, trips to the zoo, etc. 

If you are in the Boulder/Denver, Colorado area, contact me to learn more about getting the best results from your camera. Visit me at www.elivega.net



 

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those students who learned so much in just a couple of hours! I really like how Eli tries to get to know what types of images you want to create and then caters his lesson to you the person.

    ReplyDelete